Pav Bhaji is a popular street food dish in India that originated in Mumbai. It is a delicious and hearty meal made of mashed vegetables cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce, served with soft bread rolls or pav. This dish is perfect for those who are looking for a quick, filling, and delicious meal. It is a staple food in India and is enjoyed by people of all ages.
For the Bhaji:
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup green beans, diced
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
For the Pav:
- 8-10 pav or dinner rolls
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Salt to taste
- Start by preparing the bhaji. In a large pan or wok, heat oil and add chopped onions. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger, and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add the diced potatoes, carrots, green beans, green peas, green chillies, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Pour in enough water to cover the vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Using a potato masher or a blender, mash the cooked vegetables until they are smooth and well blended.
- Add a tablespoon of butter and lemon juice to the bhaji and mix well.
- For the pav, slice the dinner rolls or pav in half horizontally. Toast them on a hot griddle or pan until they are golden brown.
- Brush melted butter and salt on the pav and set them aside.
- To serve, place the bhaji in a large serving bowl and top with chopped cilantro (optional). Serve the pav on the side, along with a dollop of butter.
Enjoy your delicious and hearty pav bhaji!
Tips and Variations:
- You can add more vegetables of your choice, such as capsicum, cauliflower, or even mushrooms, to make the bhaji more nutritious and flavorful.
- If you prefer a spicier bhaji, you can add more green chillies or increase the amount of red chili powder.
- For a healthier version, you can use whole wheat pav or dinner rolls.
- You can also serve pav bhaji with a side of yogurt or raita to balance out the spices.
- You can also add a tablespoon of pav bhaji masala to the bhaji for an extra burst of flavor.
Pav bhaji is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a quick snack or a full meal. It is perfect for those who are looking for a filling and delicious meal that is easy to prepare and can be enjoyed any time