Matar Paneer is a popular North Indian dish made with green peas and paneer (Indian cottage cheese). It is a rich and creamy dish that is perfect for special occasions or when you want to treat yourself to something delicious. In this recipe, I will show you how to make the perfect Matar Paneer with a creamy and flavorful sauce.
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 250g paneer, cut into small cubes
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan and fry until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger to the pan and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add the green peas to the pan and stir to combine. Cover the pan and let the green peas cook for 5-7 minutes until they are soft.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala powder.
- Add the spice mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the spices are fragrant and the oil begins to separate from the mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the pan and stir to create a sauce. Let the sauce simmer for 5-7 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Add the cubed paneer to the pan and gently stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two until the paneer is heated through.
- Stir in the heavy cream and let the dish simmer for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is creamy and flavorful.
- Taste the dish and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve the Matar Paneer hot with rice or roti. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
Enjoy your delicious and creamy Matar Paneer!
- If you like your Matar Paneer with a thicker sauce, you can add some crushed tomatoes or tomato paste to the dish.
- For a richer flavor, you can use whole milk or half-and-half instead of heavy cream.
- If you prefer a spicier dish, you can add more green chilies or increase the amount of red chili powder.
- You can also add other vegetables like bell peppers or mushrooms to the dish for added flavor and texture.
- Paneer is a type of cheese that is often used in Indian cooking. If you can’t find paneer at your local store, you can use firm tofu as a substitute.
- To make this dish vegan, you can use firm tofu instead of paneer and use a non-dairy cream or coconut milk instead of heavy cream.