Upma is a popular breakfast dish in India that is made from semolina or sooji. It is a quick and easy dish to make, and it is filling and satisfying. Upma is typically served with coconut chutney, sambar, or pickle, and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Here is a simple and delicious recipe for upma that you can try at home.
- 1 cup semolina (sooji)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp chana dal (split chickpeas)
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add urad dal and chana dal. Cook until the dal turns golden brown.
- Add chopped onions, green chili, grated ginger, and minced garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the semolina to the pan and roast it until it turns golden brown, stirring continuously to avoid burning.
- Gradually add water, stirring constantly, until the semolina is well combined with the spices and the water has been absorbed.
- Cover the pan and cook the upma on low heat for about 5-7 minutes, or until it has thickened and the semolina is cooked through.
- Add lemon juice and chopped cilantro (optional) and mix well.
- Serve hot, garnished with more cilantro and lemon wedges, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious and filling upma!
Tips and Variations:
- You can add more vegetables of your choice, such as carrots, peas, or bell peppers, to make the upma more nutritious and flavorful.
- If you prefer a spicier upma, you can add more green chillies or increase the amount of red chili powder.
- For a healthier version, you can use whole wheat semolina instead of regular semolina.
- You can also add a tablespoon of ghee or butter to the upma for extra richness and flavor.
- Upma can be made with different types of semolina, such as rava or farina. Each type of semolina gives the upma a slightly different texture, so feel free to experiment with different varieties.
Upma is a staple dish in Indian cuisine and is enjoyed by people of all ages. It is perfect for those who are looking for a quick and easy breakfast that is filling and satisfying. With its simple ingredients and delicious flavor, upma is a dish that you will want to make again and again. So, try this recipe today and enjoy the taste of authentic Indian cuisine in your own home.
Leave a Reply