Poha is a popular and staple dish in India, especially in the Western and Northern regions. It is a quick, easy and healthy breakfast option, made from flattened rice, which is also known as beaten rice. In this blog, we’ll be discussing a classic Poha recipe that you can make in the comfort of your home.
- 1 cup of Poha
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized potato, diced
- 1 medium-sized tomato, diced
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Rinse the poha under running water and drain the excess water.
- In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and wait until they start to crackle.
- Add the cumin seeds and green chili, sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook until they become soft and mushy.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the poha to the pan and mix well with the spices and vegetables.
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until the poha is soft and fluffy.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the poha and mix well (optional).
- Serve the Poha hot, garnished with fresh coriander leaves.
This simple and easy-to-follow Poha recipe is perfect for a quick and nutritious breakfast. The dish is versatile, and you can add other ingredients like peanuts, cashews, or raisins to make it more interesting. You can also add a dollop of ghee or butter to enhance the flavor.
In conclusion, Poha is an ideal breakfast dish that is both delicious and healthy. Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think in the comments section.