Kannur, located in the northern part of Kerala, is a beautiful coastal city with a rich history, culture and natural beauty. It is known for its long stretches of beaches, serene backwaters, historic forts and temples, and vibrant local festivals. Here are some of the must-visit places in Kannur:
- St. Angelo’s Fort: St. Angelo’s Fort, also known as Kannur Fort, is a magnificent Portuguese fort located on the beach. The fort is a significant historical monument, built in 1505 by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco de Almeida. The fort has a rich history, having been occupied by the Dutch and the British at various points in time. Today, the fort is a popular tourist destination, offering stunning views of the Arabian Sea.
- Payyambalam Beach: Payyambalam Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Kannur. The beach is famous for its calm waters and clean sand, making it a perfect place to relax and soak up the sun. There are also several shacks and restaurants along the beach, where you can enjoy delicious seafood while watching the sun go down.
- Dharmadam Island: Dharmadam Island, also known as Green Island, is a small island located in the Arabian Sea. The island is a serene place, surrounded by palm trees and lush greenery. It is accessible by boat from the nearby town of Thalassery. The island is a popular destination for picnics, camping and water sports.
- Arakkal Kettu: Arakkal Kettu is a historic palace located in the heart of Kannur. The palace was once the residence of the Arakkal royal family, who ruled over a small portion of northern Kerala. Today, the palace is a museum, showcasing the rich history and culture of the region.
- Kannur Lighthouse: The Kannur Lighthouse is a beautiful landmark located on the beach. The lighthouse offers stunning views of the Arabian Sea and is a popular spot for photography. Visitors can climb to the top of the lighthouse for panoramic views of the city and the surrounding coastline.
- Mappila Bay: Mappila Bay is a serene backwater located near Kannur. The bay is surrounded by lush green mangroves, making it a perfect place to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the region. Visitors can take a boat ride through the mangroves, and enjoy the scenic views and bird watching.
In conclusion, Kannur is a destination that offers something for everyone. From its stunning beaches to its rich cultural heritage, it is a place that is sure to leave a lasting impression on all who visit. So, if you are looking for a new and exciting travel destination, make sure to add Kannur to your list.